AGM Minutes and Reports

ELY ART SOCIETY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OCTOBER 2017

GARY DAVIS – CHAIRMAN
LAST YEARS MINUTES SIGNED OFF
1. CHAIRMANS REPORT
Thanks to the committee and the exhibition team for all their work in the last year. Thank you Graham for Auditing the accounts. Bob Wells for continuing the excellent work on the website.
Lots of good demos with lots of new ideas for us to use at home, and hopefully help us with our exhibition paintings. This years exhibition went very well, and there is a lot of good feedback, and no complaints. The chairman will remain as such until such a time that he moves to France to follow his dream. Would someone please offer to look after the lighting equipment and the screen.

2. Demonstration Secretary Report
Sue Street, commented that it is becoming more difficult to find artists to do demonstrations for us, please let her know if you can recommend any artists. She hopes that you enjoy the coming years demonstrations. Sue is certain that last season’s demos were all appreciated and that we all learned something.

3. Exhibition Secretary Report
Ann Biggs ran an exhibition help group and she soon had a list of willing helpers. It was decided that the fee for entry should remain at £15.00 and £5.00 for cards less 20% commission. The group had several meetings before the exhibition and jobs were distributed throughout the group. They soon busied themselves painting the exhibition stands and boards, which made a great difference to the look of the exhibition. Roger Morris re-furbished the advertising boards and they were a wonderful bright yellow which could easily be seen by the public.
I would like to re-iterate that the work done by the committee and all its helpers is done on a voluntary basis and that the money raised from the exhibition goes towards paying for any equipment that we may need and for the cost of putting on the demonstrations. This benefits all our members. I would therefore like to see more members taking part in the exhibition next year. It may seem a little daunting at first but it is very exciting to see your work up in the Hall to be appreciated. If you sell something then it is an added bonus.
Thanks to every one you advertised the exhibition this made an enormous difference to the numbers attending. Gary and I found ourselves as subjects on the Cambridge Rolling News TV programme, the drawing hand and picture was provided by Debora Cane. Gary explained how his artwork helped him to relax and I told everyone that I could cook as well as paint after being told by my art teacher at school to take domestic science instead of my favourite art lessons. Then nodded my head in a supercilious fashion!!
Heather arranged a photographer to take our photo outside the Theatre and for an article to go into the local papers, she also did a lot of other advertising over the web.
This year we decided to have an open day with refreshments and demonstrations, this proved so successful that we were soon overwhelmed by the number of visitors. We ran out of voting slips and new member entry forms. Tindalls Art Shop Ely very kindly came along to demonstrate materials and Matt Squance did a fabulous demo for us. The favourite painting of the open day vote was won by Ron Blackwood with his wonderful tree picture – Well done Ron.
Alison Durkin- Treasurers report
There had been a fall in members, if everyone renews their membership we will have 75 members, We still need to encourage people to re-join and to join. Alison said that she had now got all the finances under control and is happy to continue to take the membership renewals and everything involved with new members joining. It would be possible for people to pay by standing order or online payments but Direct debit payment will not be possible.

RE ELECTION OF COMMITTEE
The committee to remain the same as voted and agreed by all members present
NEW SECRETARY TO BE PROPOSED AND SECONDED – WILL BE RESPONSIBLE TO TAKE MINUTES AT MEETINGS AND AT THE AGM – This position still needs to be filled
NEW PROMOTIONS AND PUBLICITY OFFICER This position still needs to be filled
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
1. FEES FOR MEMBERS TO REMAIN THE SAME AT £30 /YR possibility of a joint membership for maybe 10.00 less for couples, we would need to discuss this for year beginning November 2018. Any NEW members who join at the exhibition and pay fees at that point will get remainder of August and September free.
2. TO ENCOURAGE MORE MEMBERS TO ENTER EXHIBITION A CHOICE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL FEE AND NOT DO ANY STEWARDING AT THE EXHIBITION – I WOULD SUGGEST £10 EXTRA ON TOP OF NORMAL ENTRY FEE OF £15.00. SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT ENTERED AS THEY COULD NOT DO ANY STEWARDING OTHERS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO DO THEIR STEWARDING. THIS WOULD MAKE IT FAIRER TO ALL EXHIBITORS AND WE WOULD KNOW WHO TO CONTACT REGARDING STEWARDING.
It was felt that this was to be at the committee’s discretion, and may help those who cannot steward if they were on holiday for instance. It would not be offered as a general choice as we may end up with no Stewards!!

4. TO HAVE A TEAM OF MENTORS FOR EXHIBITORS AT EXHIBITION TO HELP WITH PRICING AND PRESENTATION OF ENTRIES.

Ann Biggs suggested that we have a meeting to discuss framing, prices etc, Debra suggested that we have a workshop to help people to make the most of their artwork for the exhibition. We decided that all exhibition entrants and non exhibition members should be invited to the exhibition help group meetings, and they could ask then if they needed any help and also to be involved more with the exhibition. We will advertise the meetings on the EAS website.
4. IT WAS AGREED THAT THE EXHIBITION HELP GROUP WOULD HAVE MEETINGS TO HELP ORGANISE THE EXHIBITION AND THAT THE COMMITTEE WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE FINANCES AND BOOKING OF THE HALL. This will remain the same for next years Exhibition.
5. TO HAVE A REFRESHMENT HELPER OR TEAM OF HELPERS TO MAKE THE TEAS BUY BISCUITS ETC FOR THE DEMO MEETINGS. Sue Street was happy to continue to buy the refreshments, and advised that there were always people who offered to help at the meetings We should ask at the beginning of the meetings.
6. CHRISTMAS PARTY – WHAT DO MEMBERS WANT TO DO AS ENTERTAINMENT AND WILL WE BUY FOOD OUT OF FUNDS OR DO MEMBERS WANT TO DO A BRING FOOD AND DRINKS AND SHARE AS WE DID LAST YEAR.
Members present agreed that we would all like to bring food to share as we did last year. Members would like some Digital work to try out if anyone can help with that please let Gary know, any other ideas would be welcome. Please let the committee know.

Other matters
Gary will ask Emma to update Facebook page with what happened at the Demos, and to explain what EAS is about. We need for EAS specific material on the facebook page.
We will continue to try to encourage new members to join Ely Art Society.


..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Minutes of the 2016 AGM held on Friday 14th October in the Methodist Church Hall Ely

Apologies
No minutes from last year. Sue Street Viv Tweed, Janet Hathiramani sent apologies re absence
Chairman's report read by Chairman Gary Davis
Other reports read by Jo Scarff re Demos Exhibition and Treasurer

Appointments to committee
Gary Davis Chairman seconded by Graham Tory agreed by all members present
Treasurer Alison Durkin seconded by Graham Wright and Shirley Wright agreed by all members present
Demo Secretary Sue Street seconded by Thelma Castle
Agreed by all members present
Exhibition Secretary Jo Scarff seconded by Gary Davis
Ann Biggs to form a group of helpers to organise the exhibition
Secretary Joy Childs seconded by Gary Davis agreed by all members present
Membership Secretary Gary Davis agreed by all members present
Publicity and Events committee member still needed, please contact the Chairman Gary Davis if you can fill this role.
We agreed that we could all advertise EAS as we saw the opportunity arise, by inviting friends or using free ads offered in some local magazines.

Membership
To start from 01 October every year and to be £30.00 per year agreed by all present.

Exhibition 2017
£15.00 Entry fee £5.00 to enter cards. Plus 20% of all sales to EAS.
The venue to be The Hayward Theatre dates to be confirmed after January 2017 with them.
Ann Biggs and team will confirm new rules for exhibition as soon as possible. Hopefully this will make exhibition fair for all entrants.

Website
Bob Wells requested that members send pictures of recent work to display. He reminded all members present to let him know if they wanted him to put anything on the website. We all agreed that the website is excellent.

Christmas Party
Members agreed that we would all bring some food to share.
The Chairman suggested that we could bring suitable items that we wish to sell. Graham Tory suggested that we bring our sketch books along. We also have SAA competition to paint half a postcard each that we can do. This will be photographed to make cover of next years programme of demos.

Thank yous
To Bob Wells for his continuing work on the EAS website
Stephanie Robertson thanked the committee for all their work, followed by applause by all present.
Thank you to Graham Wright for auditing this years account.
Gary thanked all members who attended the AGM and had given their support over the last year.

Josephine Scarff

Report on EAS Exhibition 2016 – Hayward Theatre

Apologies from Sue Street and Viv Tweed, Janet Hathirimani who cannot attend the meeting
We had a very successful exhibition this year. I eventually managed to book the hall after numerous phone calls and emails. We made a small profit which will go towards the running costs of the EAS. The entry fees collected only covered about a third of the cost of the exhibition and we were then reliant on selling enough paintings and cards to cover the rest. You will be pleased to hear that I eventually managed to deliver the paintings to the mystery lady who rode off on her bicycle. She was very impressed with the quality and standard of the exhibition, and plans to spend more next year.
I was a little disappointed that I had even fewer entries than last year when everyone had specifically asked for the Hayward Theatre. As you know we were unable to use it the previous year as they had refurbishments to do and now have lovely toilets to use. Seems that the hall itself was exactly the same. I phoned as many members as I could to remind them to enter and held the closing date to the very last minute just in case. I was extremely pleased however at the amount of help which I received on the hand in day and throughout the exhibition, thank you everyone for that.
Ann Biggs will organise for a team of helpers to put the exhibition together next year, if we are allowed to use the Hayward Theatre again. She has some good ideas to make the exhibition layout fairer for the entrants and it may be that you are allocated a certain space that your paintings can take up. We were a bit lax with the rules once again as we had so few artists and we needed to sell a lot to cover the costs.
I am proposing that the entry fees for paintings should be 15.00 and 5.00 for card entries plus the 20% commission. I feel that this is still a reasonable entry fee and selling artists will still have value from their work. We would then know at the start that the costs were covered before start the exhibition.

DEMONSTRATIONS
Unfortunately Sue Street was unable to attend the meeting tonight, but I think you will agree that she has done an excellent job arranging the demonstrations and making the tea!! She took this role over from me last year as I felt I could not cope with it as well as organising the exhibition. So some of the demos up to date were ones that I organised, we have shared the task of contacting the artist to make sure they could come. I think I can safely say that we have had a good year and some excellent artists. Sue has also taken care of organising the production of the new programme. Sue has more excellent artists for you in the next programme, which can be found on our website. We have accounted for the cost of the demonstrations and it will be possible to pay for these providing we have at least 70 members paying the new fee for membership of 30.00 per year.

TREASURER
You will all be aware by now that Janet Hathirimani felt she was unable to continue as treasurer. I have been banking the money for EAS and keeping a record of the amount of money that is in the current account. I also arranged to transfer 1000.00 from Scottish Widows savings as a buffer for the exhibition, we still need to pay for the hall, but I have not received an invoice from Kings School yet. Fortunately we did not need to use this and the exhibition proved to be self funding. It has been a very tight year money wise, and it has been touch and go whether we could afford to pay for demos, hire of the church hall and other costs. Hopefully this next year will be better financially as we all renew our memberships. Gary, and I worked out and made payments to all our exhibiting artists who were lucky and sold a few paintings. Sue, Gary and I sat down and worked out the accounts for this year but account still needs to be audited. I understand that Graham will do that for us at a later date.

Josephine Scarff

Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer: